Autumn Background

Friday, September 24, 2010

Take the First Step...

A few days ago I did a post regarding  Baby Steps to Nutritious Eating: 12 Steps to a Real Food Diet by Stephanie @ Passionate HomemakingStep 1 is Use Real Butter Instead of Margarine.   

Why Butter is Better.  

Where can I find Real Milk for making Butter?

Today I thought I would post a wonderful recipe that I found at Frugal Granola for Delicious Butter.  I have been making my own butter for a while.  It is a very satisfying practice, delicious and EASY!  Be adventurous and give it a try.  If not just buy your own butter. Organic, grass-fed is best.  Otherwise just make sure it is butter free of rBSTIt is so much more nutritious for you and your family than margarine.  This is great news for all of you Paula Deen fans out there!


Delicious Butter

by Michele @ Frugal Granola

A Jar of Buttermilk & Fresh Butter in the Stoneware Butter Keeper

I have been hesitant to post my butter-making routine, as I know others have previously written wonderful tutorials on the subject.  However, since I have received several inquiries on my “lazy” way of making butter, I thought I’d go ahead and share a few of the different techniques I have encountered over the years.  
When we learned about the health benefits of butter, we were extremely motivated to make our own!  We found a local source for raw milk, and it has been wonderful!  I buy 2 gallons a week.  This provides enough for our toddler to drink, as well as sufficient buttermilk and butter for the week.  Calvin & I occasionally will have a glass of milk, and I usually make a batch of yogurt, too.  (Somehow, I think God makes it stretch!)  
We aren’t always very precise when it comes to skimming off the cream (hence the “lazy” method begins!); we don’t always get all the cream, and if we do, there might be “excess” milk included in our skimming.  But, that’s ok!  If there is cream left in the milk, we reap the health benefits of drinking it.  If there is “too much” milk, it will take longer for the butter to form, but we end up with plenty of buttermilk.  Nothing is wasted!  
Since raw butter doesn’t have a long “shelf-life,” we only skim one gallon of milk at a time (although it does freeze well, if you would prefer that option!).  From each gallon, we usually end up with 1/2 cup butter, and 2-4 cups of buttermilk (depending on how precise we were, and the seasonal abundance of cream in the gallon).
 
 
Let me know how it turns out.  Have a great weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
My name is Adrienne. I'm a Christian woman, wife to a hunter and mother to a precious gift from God. I believe that we need to get back to our roots and enjoy the simple things in life.