Autumn Background

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Getting Ready for Winter : Stocking Your Natural Medicine Cabinet...

We are still having some pretty hot days down here in the Southeast, but that little nip of Fall is definitely in the air.  Especially in the evenings.  The littlest Smith and I have actually been able to get in a few golf cart and four wheeler rides without the mosquitoes trying to carry us away.  Before we know it the Winter will be on us.  Colds and viruses will be keeping our immune systems in overdrive.  Check out 5 Natural Medicine Cabinet Essentials after all, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!".  You can thank Ben Franklin for that little ditty.  Along with the famed Elderberry Tincture (everyone raves about this particular concoction) you'll find a few other things that mama should always have on hand.


 5 Natural Medicine Cabinet Essentials
by Lindsay @ Passionate Homemaking



Fall is definitely arriving here in the Northwest as we welcome rain and chilly weather turning our thoughts towards starting to prepare for the winter and the cold/flu season. Last year I shared about stocking your natural medicine cabinet and found a wealth of information and ideas passed around from our readers. As I look back on this previous year, I realize I collected many items that were truly not necessary. My goal this year was to simplify my medicine cabinet and stick to the items that were most effective when dealing with the everyday cold and flu bugs last winter. Here are my top 5 items that I believe should be in every Mama’s cabinet:

1. Elderberry Syrup

I cannot praise this concoction enough! It is easy and frugal to make your own supply, and it is incredibly healing to the body. As I shared previously, “Elderberry is anti-viral, contains high levels of flavonoids and antioxidants, has cell-protecting components, soothes sore throats, and supports the immune system and respiratory system.” We have found it extremely effective for all colds, running noses, sour throats, flu, fevers and various aches and pains. It covers all your bases and is perfectly safe for adults and children.
Learn how to make your own elderberry syrup and keep it stocked in your fridge all winter long. Take one teaspoon daily to help boost your immune system and prevent illness or 1-4 teaspoons daily during sickness. Check out this helpful video from Mountain Rose Herbs on preparing your own. Mountain Rose Herbs sells dried elderberries for an excellent price.
If you’d rather buy your Elderberry syrup, we have used the Quantum Elderberry brand as well and it is excellent alternative. You will go through it with one cold bug, so that is why I started to make my own because it was significantly cheaper.

Click here to read the entire post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
My name is Adrienne. I'm a Christian woman, wife to a hunter and mother to a precious gift from God. I believe that we need to get back to our roots and enjoy the simple things in life.