Autumn Background

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Limit Beverage Choices to Filtered Water...

 

Last week I introduced Baby Steps to Nutritious Eating: 12 Steps to a Real Foods Diet from Lindsay @ Passionate Homemaking.  Step 1 was to Use real butter instead of margarine.  The next step is to Limit beverage choices to filtered water.  I know this will be really hard for some of you.  I did this particular step a long time ago when I was in High school (OK, a really long time ago).  I break down and have a coke every once in a while, but water is the only thing that really quenches my thirst.  Lindsay has listed some natural alternatives such as kombucha and water kefir soda, which are very dense in nutrients. I haven't tried either, but I plan to soon and will let you know the results.  Our bodies are anywhere from 45-75% water depending on the size and other factors of the individual.  Any way you look at it, a significant part of the human body is water.  So it only makes sense that your body needs plenty of water at it's disposal to function properly.  You are simply not going to get that from sugary sodas or diet sodas full of artificial sweeteners.

  

Baby Steps to Nutritious Eating: 12 Steps to a Real Foods Diet 

by Lindsay @ Passionate Homemaking

2. Limit beverage choices to filtered water.

Drinking more water is probably the best step towards better health. Get a good stainless steel water bottle and start drinking! Removing pop and other highly sweetened beverages from your diet is huge! You just really don’t want to go near HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). There are no HFCS varieties available at health food stores if you cannot drop the habit…but it is definitely worth it for the cost savings alone. Tea and coffee are good beverages if you choice fair trade versions. Kombucha and water kefir soda are also good nutritiously dense drinks. If you can, purchase a good water filter. Berkey is reasonably priced option. Otherwise, a Brita is better than nothing.

 I would love to hear your comments!  What do you drink instead of sugary sodas to quench your thirst?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
My name is Adrienne. I'm a Christian woman, wife to a hunter and mother to a precious gift from God. I believe that we need to get back to our roots and enjoy the simple things in life.